Sun. May 24th, 2020

Sundowns come back to beat Maritzburg United in controversial TKO final

Maritzburg United were beaten 2-1 by Mamelodi Sundowns in the Telkom Knockout Final but should have forced extra time after being denied a stoppage time equaliser the referee’s assistant.

sundowns come back to beat maritzburg united in controversial tko final 1024x688 - Sundowns come back to beat Maritzburg United in controversial TKO final

Maritzburg United were denied a stoppage-time equaliser by the linesman and Mamelodi Sundowns would win the Telkom Knockout final to claim the cup for the fourth time.

United had led at the breakthrough Judas Moseamedi’s poacher’s goal in the 40th minute but two goals from Mauricio Affonso gave Downs the trophy.

The striker was a persistent threat to Sundowns with his strength and guile, and ensured the opening passages of the match were fraught with tension for Pitso Mosimane’s men.

Sundowns dominated early possession but struggled to break down a determined Maritzburg United defence.

Forty minutes into the first half United goalkeeper Richard Ofori knocked the ball long and somehow Moseamedi flicked his touch beyond Onyango in the Downs goal.

012752de judas moseamedi 2048x1376 - Sundowns come back to beat Maritzburg United in controversial TKO final
Judas Mosemaedi of Maritzburg United celebrates goal with teammates during the 2019 Telkom Knockout final match between Maritzburg United and Mamelodi Sundowns at Moses Mabhida Stadium Durban, on 14 December 2019 ©Samuel Shivambu/BackpagePix

The Team of Choice took that lead into half time but found themselves under siege in the second half.

Sundowns target-man the difference

In the end it would be a United error that allowed Sundowns back in when a hopeful ball was floated in towards Mauricio Affonso, Ofori came out to punch but fluffed his effort giving the Uruguayan target-man a free header which he placed inti the net to level matters.

Sundowns got more joy on attack in the second half as they began to use Affonso’s strength in the air but United remained a threat on the counter.

After a period where Sundowns failed to create any real chances another defensive lapse allowed the big man to head home what would prove to be the winner.

Moseamedi scrambled home what he thought was the equaliser, deep into stoppage time but the linesman’s flag went up denying Maritzburg United extra-time and a shot at a first trophy. Replays showed that Moseamedi was onside though and United will feel very much aggrieved by the ending to what was a great cup final.

Maritzburg United coach Eric Tinkler refused to answer when asked if his side were denied a legitimate goal at the end, saying “You shouldn’t be asking me this question really, so, ja move on to the next one please.”

Mosimane said he believed it was a goal and was grateful to see the linesman’s flag go up, he wouldn’t say whether it was offside or not without the benefit of replays saying “I don’t know if it was offside or not, it it was not, I benefitted and I have no shame.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *