Cameroon will be one squad man short for their Africa Cup of Nations opener. Joël Tagueu was rule dout of the tournament with a heart defect on Monday. And while that’s a blow for his personal ambitions, it shouldn’t impact the team’s cup aspirations.
Cameroon also met then-debutants Guinea-Bissau in their
first match two years ago and came from behind to win 2-1 at the start of a
campaign that ended in a final triumph over Egypt.
Just 10 of the 23-man winning squad are in Egypt, but the
figure would have been higher had final matchwinner Vincent Aboubakar not been
In the absence of the Porto forward, Cameroon will look to
regular La Liga scorer Karl Toko Ekambi from Villarreal for goals as they
pursue back-to-back titles.
At the back, the Lions will be in safe hands as goalkeeper
Andre Onana was part of the Ajax team that stunned Real Madrid and Juventus in
the Champions League last season.
A Guinea-Bissau side coached by local Baciro Cande and
captained by Slovakia-based midfielder Zezinho lost a warm-up game against
Angola 2-0 in Portugal and then slipped under the radar.
Prediction, head-to-head and TV stream
Cameroon are favourites with a 60% win probability. The draw is the second most likely at 27%. A win for Guinea-Bissau is at just 13%.
Three previous meetings between these two teams. And three wins for Cameroon.
Where and what time to watch
Kick off is at 19:00 SAST.
In Africa, SuperSport 4 and 10 will broadcast the match and the opening ceremony.
Elsewhere: Eurosport Player (UK) and beIN Sports Connect (U.S.).
Additional reporting by AFP, TSA Staff and agencies.