Primedia to ‘release DJ Fresh and Euphonik from their contracts’

DJ’s Fresh and Euphonik’s contracts with Primedia were cancelled ‘with immediate effect’.

primedia to release dj fresh and euphonik from their contracts - Primedia to ‘release DJ Fresh and Euphonik from their contracts’

Primedia Broadcasting on Wednesday, 10 February 2021 confirmed that they would terminate contracts with DJ Fresh and Euphonik, following rape allegations made against the men back in January.

The termination will be issued with immediate effect, with Primedia Broadcasting Interim CEO Geraint Crwys-Williams confirming that the decision was “made after careful consideration of the events of the past weeks”.

DJ Fresh and Euphonik – released from Primedia

Crwys-Williams said it’s in the “best interest of the company”, and added that the decision “does not reflect a view on the veracity of any allegations against either Euphonik or Fresh”, as reported by Eyewitness News.

“Rather it prioritises Primedia Broadcasting’s business imperatives. We believe that this decision is in the best interest of our company and our various stakeholders”.

This follows after Primedia confirmed in Janaury that the board is taking rape allegations brought against the DJs “extremely seriously”. DJ Fresh and Euphonik were taken off air on 15 and 10 January, respectively.

Rape allegations

A woman known only as @Nampree had earlier taken to Twitter and accused both DJs of drugging and raping her in 2011. She asked if the duo would “ever acknowledge drunking me and further raping” her.

“I was completed drugged, I don’t whether you BOTH raped me or 1 of you did & you later laughed about it the next morning saying we (me & 3 girls) were so drunk we kept blacking out but nasidlwengula”.

Many netizens accused her of lying, but others showed their support, such as poet and actress Lebogang Mashile, as well as journalist and former radio presenter, Redi Tlhabi.

Mashile said “these two have been named in far too many stories of abuse, it’s consistent”, adding that she’s sorry what @Nampree went through and thanked her for “validating others who may be too scared to come forward”. Tlhabi tweeted:

“I believe her. Even when accused is a respected peer. I believe her. The allegations are too serious to ignore. In keeping with LeadSA antirape initiative Primedia launched, there is room for a stronger statement that doesn’t subvert legal process”.

It’s not the first rape allegations brought against DJs Fresh and Euphonik. Back in 2020, Ntsiki Mazwai accused DJ Fresh of rape but had to delete the tweets after a court ruled she didn’t have enough evidence and ordered to remove the tweets.

DJ Fresh and Euphonik respond

DJ Euphonik shared a statement on Twitter shortly after the announcement, say they have concluded after “extensive consultation, legal and otherwise”, that it would be in their “best interests to resume public engagements”.

“We look forward to our names being cleared. Unfortunately, we can’t find common ground with Primedia and have agreed a release from our obligations to the broadcaster, with immediate effect”.

The statement concludes with DJ Fresh and Euphonik thanking Primedia for “all the great broadcasting opportunities and moments”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *