If the DA were looking for a PR victory just weeks before the 2019 Elections, then they don’t have to look much further than figures published in the Good Governance Index for 2019: In total, 15 of the “best-run” municipalities in South Africa are under DA control. But the survey has not been so kind to the ANC.
DA impress with local governance
The ruling party are only responsible for five regions in the top 20, and dominate the bottom of the list, too. As figures published by Daily Maverick show, there are 16 ANC-controlled metropoles in the bottom 20, which are ably supported by four IFP governments.
But, in a bizarre twist, three of the top five municipalities are under ANC control – so there’s room for interpretation.
— GGA (@GGA_org) April 17, 2019
The DA can also crow about their running of the Western Cape, too: 12 regions under their control in the province have made the cut. There’s also a small boost for the Freedom Front Plus and the Khoi Revolution Party (KGP), whose coalition governments with the DA have also found themselves near the top of the log.
Good Governance: What makes municipalities work well?
The Good Governance Index looks at a few key areas which make a municipality “desirable”. To qualify, each administration must have sufficient numbers of personnel with the requisite qualifications, financial management and compliance with annual reporting to Treasury. Then they are judged on:
- The quality of their administrative operations
- Signs of economic development.
- Effective service delivery: Water, sanitation, education, electricity, housing, refuse removal, health facilities and police coverage to their residents all fall into this bracket.
Good Governance Index reveal “best municipality in South Africa”
Mossel Bay has emerged as the top gun, here. The idyllic coastal town is a favourite for tourists who travel down the Garden Route in the Cape. Senqu, an ANC ward in the Eastern Cape, claims second spot and the DA secure a majority in the top three with the appearance of Swartland.
The worst-run municipality is in KwaZulu-Natal and it is run by the IFP. Msinga props up the table, with a lowly 213th-place performance. The ANC then complete this “relegation zone”, registering two municipalities – Umhlabuyalingana (KZN) and Port St. Johns (Eastern Cape) in the bottom three.
The best-run municipalities in South Africa
- Mossel Bay, Western Cape – DA
- Senqu, Eastern Cape – ANC
- Swartland, Western Cape – DA
- Sol Plaatjie, Northern Cape – ANC
- Greater Kokstad, KZN – ANC
- Midvaal, Gauteng – DA
- Khai-Ma Local, Northern Cape – ANC
- Berg River, Western Cape – DA / KGP
- Cape Aghulas, Western Cape – DA
- Prince Albert, Western Cape – DA / KGP
- Swellendam, Western Cape – DA
- Cederberg, Western Cape – DA
- Matzikama, Western Cape – DA
- Overstrand, Western Cape – DA / Cope
- Witzenberg, Western Cape – DA
- Koukamma, Western Cape – DA
- Hantam, Northern Cape – DA / FF+
- Nama Khoi, Northern Cape – ANC / KGP
- Hessequa, Western Cape – DA
- Langeberg, Western Cape – DA