It was an eventful week and South Africans used Google to keep informed and update to date with the news. Hot topics this week included Thanos, Game of Thrones, Workers’ Day, Freedom Day and Caster Semenya’s appeal.
South Africa’s top Google searches this week
We celebrated South Africa’s 25th year of post-apartheid democracy. It’s no surprise then that the term ‘Freedom Day‘ generated over 500 000 search queries on Saturday, 27 April.
We were motivated by words of wisdom from some of South Africa’s greatest leaders, and many politicians used the day to get some last-minute electioneering in.
- Google Doodle recognises South Africa’s Freedom Day
- Ramaphosa bemoans persistent corruption in Freedom Day cry
In a similar vein, Workers’ Day garnered half a million search queries too, with the bulk of the Googling happening on 1 May.
Avengers fans generated more than 200 000 search queries for the supervillain ‘Thanos,’ thanks to Google’s easter egg.
A search of ‘Thanos’, followed by clicking on the gauntlet, wiped out half of Google search results. Just like Thanos turned half the universe to dust with a snap of his fingers.
- Revisit these six Marvel movies before watching Avengers: Endgame
- Avengers Endgame: South African Release Date, Cast, Trailer and more
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ breaks records with presale tickets
- The 10 most anticipated movies of 2019
Disappointed athletics fans generated more than 20 000 search queries for ‘Caster Semenya’ on Wednesday.
News had just emerged that the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) had dismissed her appeal not to have her testosterone levels reduced in order to compete internationally.
- Caster Semenya: Indian sprinter Dutee Chand slams “wrong” CAS ruling
- Politicians rally round Caster Semenya as she vows to “rise above” IAAF ruling
- Cyril Ramaphosa, Caster Semenya appear on 2019 #Time100 list
- Caster Semenya vs IAAF: CAS delays ruling by mutual agreement
Game of Thrones season 8
Impatient fans generated more than 20 000 search queries for ‘Game of Thrones season 8 episode 3’ on Sunday. It was, after all, the much-anticipated Battle of Winterfell.
Just two weeks ago, the term ‘Game of Thrones, season 8, episode 1‘ generated more than 100 000 queries on Google Search.
- Stand your ground: Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 3 preview
- Inside Season 8 Episode 3 of Game of Thrones
- Game of Thrones season 8 episode 3: Here’s what you may have missed
- A new chapter: Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 4 preview
Search trends information is collected from data collated by Google, based on what South Africans have been searching for.