The suspect that was arrested and charged with the murder of a Cape Town surfer appeared at the Simon’s Town magistrate’s court on Tuesday.
As reported by EWN, it is believed that the 30-year-old unidentified male, and an accomplice, is responsible for the cold-blooded murder of the surfer, whose identity has not been revealed by the police.
What happened to the Cape Town surfer?
On Wednesday, 8 May, police officers in Kommetjie were alerted to the scene of an abandoned car that was burned, not too far from Slangkop Road, near Scarborough.
In its trunk, responding officers stumbled upon the torched corpse of the surfer.
It was soon established that the surfer had been a victim of a violent hijacking incident. According to the coroner’s report, the victim was still alive when the suspects set the car alight.
Key witnesses in the Kommetjie murder case
The two female hitchhikers
Police spokesperson, Leon Fortuin, further revealed that the suspects, after hijacking the car, brazenly picked up two female hitchhikers with the surfer locked in the trunk.
The two hitchhikers told officers that they realised that they were in danger when they heard the surfer’s scuffling in the trunk.
After many attempts at trying to get the suspects to pull the car over, a fight broke out in the car and forced the car to drive into an oncoming motorist.
The driver of the crashed vehicle
It was this commotion that attracted the attention of the driver of the other car involved in the incident.
He told investigators that after the hijacked car had crashed into his, he gave chase until the suspects abruptly stopped and got out, brandishing their guns at him.
The two females took the opportunity to escape at this point, leaving the surfer trapped in the trunk, unable to make his way out.
The driver, fearing for his own life, pulled away from the scene but as he did so, the two suspects allegedly set the car alight.
When is accused murderer’s court appearance?
A full-scale investigation was launched and during the weekend, investigators tracked down the 30-year-old suspect in Ocean View.
He was found in possession of an illegal firearm, ammunition and the car keys that belong to the victim’s car.
Court proceedings around the murder case kicked off on Tuesday, with the matter being postponed for his bail hearing on Tuesday, 21 May.