Calls by AfriForum to have Ntsiki Mazwai removed as a presenter on Moja Love, similar to the way MultiChoice treated Steve Hofmeyr, have had no impact on the broadcaster.
They say they have no editorial control over third party content providers.
Ntsiki Mazwai controversy
Afriforum has thrown themselves among MultiChoice’s affairs because they believe the organisation is not showing consistency with how it deals with content creators and personalities.
In April 2019, the broadcaster decided to drop content featuring Steve Hofmeyr on all of its platforms.
“MultiChoice is committed to the building of a non-racial society and strongly condemns any acts of discrimination,” said MultiChoice group executive of corporate affairs Joe Heshu in a statement at the time.
This, according to AfriForum, means they should put equal restrictions on Mazwai, who is herself no stranger to controversy.
— AfriForum (@afriforum) May 30, 2019
Speaking to TshisaLive, Heshu revealed whether or not they agreed with AfriForum was irrelevant.
There is very little MultiChoice can do about Mazwai because she was employed by third-party channels where the broadcaster has exactly zero editorial control.
“There is a fundamental difference between people who appear on third-party channels, where we have absolutely no editorial control, and people who we employ, sponsor, associate directly with and appear on the DStv channels that are owned by MultiChoice Group, such as the M-Net, kykNET, and SuperSport, where we would exercise control and ultimate accountability,” he said.
While AfriForum is unlikely to be pleased by the statement, they will need to concede that MultiChoice is not the company they should be petitioning over their issues with Mazwai.
There is nothing the broadcaster can do about it, short of removing entire channels from DSTV, which is hardly a realistic option.
Heshu reiterated there are official channels for people to raise any issue of concern when it comes to content.
“Members of the public are however able to raise any complaint around the content they find disagreeable directly with the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA),” he said.
Hofmeyr reaction to MultiChoice sanction
After being axed by MultiChoice, Hofmeyr called on his fans to send him videos of them destroying their satellite dishes in return for a cash prize. His family claims over 5000 videos have been sent so far.
He uploaded his own video to Facebook of him removing his satellite dish before driving over it with a car. According to the Citizen, it had over 350 000 views before it was removed from the platform.