My family love their sweet treat and weekends are all about baking in our household. Sunday’s are family lunch days and there is always some form of dessert for after.
Today I am sharing my super easy Pavlova recipe. Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert usually topped with fruit and whipped cream. You want the meringue to be crispy on the outside and gooey in the centre.
Lets have a look at the magic ingredients to make these little beauties:
- Eggs whites – separated and this forms the base of the meringue
- Castor sugar – this forms that delicious outside crisp and sweetness
- Cornstarch – that smooth, shiny mixture and marshmallow texture comes from this
- Salt – seasoning to balance out everything, it actually enhances the vanilla essence
- Vanilla essence – because who doesn’t love a little vanilla deliciousness
- Lemon juice – the secret ingredient to combine it all together
- Berries – I used blueberries
Alternative topping ideas
- Berry mixture – blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
- Stone Fruits – peaches, apricots, nectarines
- Mint leaves
This content has been created as part of our freelancer relief programme. We are supporting journalists and freelance writers impacted by the economic slowdown caused by #lockdownlife.
If you are a freelancer looking to contribute to The South African, read more here.