If you are planning to stay indoors this evening then the movie in the Sunday Night M-Net slot – Mortal Engines – is just for you. Don’t forget the popcorn.
Mortal Engines is a 2018 post-apocalyptic adventure film directed by Christian Rivers; produced by Zane Walker and starring Hera Hilmar, Robert Sheehan and Hugo Weaving.
Sunday Movie: Mortal Engines – What you need to know
Mortal Engines Plot
In a post-apocalyptic world where cities ride on wheels and consume each other to survive, two people meet in London and try to stop a conspiracy.
A mysterious young woman, Hester Shaw, emerges as the only one who can stop a giant, predator city on wheels devouring everything in its path.
Katherine Valentine: How can a society so advanced, so scientific, be so stupid?
Tom Natsworthy: Well, no more stupid than people today. They just had far worse weapons, and far more sophisticated control systems.
Critics are divided over this one. Katie Walsh from Tribune News Service said it’s visually busy and hefty, but emotionally and thematically it’s “as light as air.” David Fear from Rolling Stone wrote:
They want to give you a steampunk-on-steroids Metropocalypse Now! And they’re willing to use the spare parts of dozens of other movies to make it happen.
In addition, James Beradinelli described it as “one of the most impressive examples of ‘world-building’ in recent years, surpassing such contenders as ‘Valerian’, ‘Cloud Atlas’ and even the recent ‘Star Wars’ episodes.”
There are fleeting pleasures to be had here in Brexit-era parallels…but too soon the movie returns to deadening clichés (a doomsday weapon! A plucky band of rebels!), blank-faced performances and truly horrible line-readings.
Kevin Maher, Times UK
The main cast and characters
- Hera Hilmar as Hester Shaw, Pandora’s 28-year-old daughter and a disfigured, mask-wearing fugitive assassin with a personal vendetta against Thaddeus. She was raised by cyborg Shrike.
- Poppy MacLeod as Young Hester Shaw
- Robert Sheehan as Tom Natsworthy, a low-class twentysomething Apprentice Historian of London thrown out of the city and forced to ally himself with Hester and the resistance as an aviator.
- Hugo Weaving as Thaddeus Valentine, Deputy Lord Mayor, the insane archeologist and power-hungry Head of the Guild of Historians.
- Jihae as Anna Fang, a pilot, warrior, and leader of the Anti-Traction League, a resistance group banding against the moving cities devouring Earth’s resources.
- Ronan Raftery as Bevis Pod, an Apprentice Engineer whom Katherine befriends.
- Leila George as Katherine Valentine, daughter of Thaddeus Valentine and one of London’s elite.
- Patrick Malahide as Magnus Crome, the Lord Mayor of London.
- Stephen Lang as Shrike, a cyborg, the last of an undead battalion of soldiers known as Stalkers, who were war casualties re-animated with machine parts, and Hester’s guardian.
- Colin Salmon as Chudleigh Pomeroy, Tom’s historian boss.
- Mark Mitchinson as Vambrace, Valentine’s henchman.
- Regé-Jean Page as Captain Khora, a Ruh-Shan member and Anti-Traction League aviator.
- Menik Gooneratne as Sathya, a Ruh-Shan member and Anti-Traction League aviator.
- Frankie Adams as Yasmina Rashid, a Ruh-Shan member and Anti-Traction League aviator.
- Leifur Sigurdarson as Nils Lindstrom, a Ruh-Shan member and Anti-Traction League aviator.
- Kahn West as Toa Heke, a Ruh-Shan member and Anti-Traction League aviator.
- Andrew Lees as Herbert Melliphant, an Apprentice Engineer and Tom’s rival.
- Sophie Cox as Clytie Potts, another key Historian.
M-Net Sunday Movie: Stats
- Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
- Runtime: 2 h 8 min
- Age Restriction: PG-13
- IMDB: 6.1
- On air: Sunday, 11 August, 20:05 on M-Net, Channel 101.