What an interesting week it’s been. Several South Africans CEOs resigned, SAA wants another bailout and the Comrades is happening on Sunday. If you need to unwind after that, consider settling in for the Sunday movie on M-Net, Jason Momoa’s Braven.
Braven is a 2018 action thriller film. It is directed by Lin Oeding and written by Mike Nilon and Thomas Pa’a Sibbett. The film stars Jason Momoa from the Aquaman fame in the lead role. What’s not to like?
A logger and his father head to their hunting cabin, hoping for a quiet weekend. But this is an action movie and we know that sh*t is about to go south.
So instead of enjoying a relaxing weekend away, they find themselves in a kill-or-be-killed stand for survival when they encounter a gang of ruthless drug traffickers.
Watch: Braven trailer
The critics loved it. Joe Leydon from Variety said it is an “unpretentious yet thoroughly professional popcorn entertainment that brings out the best in everybody involved.” Sara Steward from New York Post added:
For anyone looking for a shot of vengeance adrenaline while waiting for ‘John Wick 3’ to come down the pike, ‘Braven’ will probably fit the bill.
In addition, Frank Schenk from Hollywood Reporter said Momoa comes across as a “relatable everyman,” while his co-stars superbly handle their role’s “considerable emotional and physical demands.”
The main cast and characters
- Jason Momoa as Joe Braven, a soft spoken logger and family man.
- Garret Dillahunt as Kassen, the leader of the drug traffickers.
- Zahn McClarnon as Hallett, drug trafficker, Kassen’s right hand man.
- Stephen Lang as Linden Braven, Joe’s father
- Jill Wagner as Stephanie Braven, Joe’s wife
- Brendan Fletcher as Weston, Joe’s co worker
- Sasha Rossof as Charlotte Braven, Joe’s daughter
- Sala Baker as Gentry, a mercenary
- Teach Grant as Essington, a mercenary
- Fraiser Aitcheson as Clay, a mercenary
- Steve O’Connell as Sheriff Cal Osser
- Tye Alexander as Deputy Glen Harris
Sunday Movie: Stats
- Genre: Action, Drama
- Runtime: 1 h 34 min
- Age Restriction: R
- IMDB: 6.1
- On air: Sunday, 9 June, 20:00 on M-Net, Channel 101.