Nu Metro cinemas have been open every day since 4 December 2020, but from now on are only operating on Fridays, and over weekends and public holidays.
The company has changed its operating hours due to the adjusted lockdown level 3 regulations and will now stop showing movies from Mondays to Thursdays. Nu Metro said the changes were necessary to ensure sustainability of the business.
“Nu Metro cinemas have been open on a daily basis since 4 December 2020. From Monday 11 January 2021, our cinemas will only be operational on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and on public holidays as part of the company’s responsible business strategy to ensure the future,” the company said.
PUBLIC STILL WANT TO SEE MOVIES ON BIG SCREEN
“The limited supply of film content, especially from Hollywood, has had a major effect on attendances. most of the major blockbuster movie titles have been pushed out to later in 2021,” Nu Metro said.
“Other factors such as the impact of the pandemic on the economy, resources, operational ability and customer habits/retail trends all combined to affect our business potential.”
Nu Metro said, however, that customers were enthusiastic and there was still demand to see movies on the big screen. It added there was no retrenchments or site closures yet and that it would monitor its cinemas to manage costs accordingly in the best interests of staff and customers.
CINEMA RULES UNDER ADJUSTED LEVEL 3
Cinemas are allowed to continue operating as long as they adhere to the general lockdown restrictions as well as those set out by their managing department. Updated guidelines for cinemas include the following:
• No mask, no entry to cinema facilities;
• Temperature screening must take place;
• Masks may only be removed when eating or drinking;
• Sufficient sanitisers must be available for use;
• All equipment and surfaces must be cleaned regularly;
• Deep cleaning must take place before opening;
• There must be social distancing between customers at all times;
• Adequate ventilation must be kept;
• Regulations, guidelines and venue capacities must be clearly indicated; and
• Any food facilities on-site need to adhere to regulations set out by the responsible department.
The general lockdown restrictions are also in effect:
• Gatherings are limited to 50 people;
• No alcohol may be sold; and
• Curfew is in effect from 21:00 to 05:00 with businesses closing at 20:00.