A woman’s handbag is much more than just a fashion statement. It carries necessities and, almost always, one or two surprises as well.
Handbags are like toolkits, containing everything you may need for unexpected moments. However they can also be mysterious, filled with weirdest things, and they often can tell you more about the person carrying them.
Celebrity handbag secrets
Take a look at these five actresses and what is hiding in their handbags:
- Vietnamese-born American actress and YouTuber Lana Condor must surely have one of the oddest items. She carries a small gnome in her handbag.
For Condor, having small gnome close to her is profound. She told the US Weekly in 2019 that the tiny item had sentimental value, as it was a gift from her parents.
“My parents gave it to me in kindergarten because I believed in fairies and all that mystical stuff, so it reminds me of my family,” she said.
- Disney actress Olivia Holt also has an unusual item: Tomato ketchup. Yup, she really, really doesn’t want her food without tomato sauce!
- US actress Anna Faris always has a spare pair of sweatpants in her bag. There are women who always have an extra piece of clothing in case anything gets ruined. Faris makes sure she has sweatpants in her bag to change into when she gets on a plane.
- New Girl actress Hannah Simone has a stuffed toy in her handbag. She carries a cute toy to beat stress and anxiety, and also likes to fidget with it.
- American actress and singer Katie Stevens carries an old key. She likes carrying an old hotel room key because it reminds her of the place where her husband popped the question. For Katie, the key has a sentimental value attached to it.
What should be in your handbag?
Even though most of us will not pack a garden gnome or tracksuit pants in our handbag, there are certain essentials. Here are a few of them.
Having a little money tucked away in a secure place, or that secret pocket, is imperative. This will come It comes in handy in emergencies such as a credit card being declined, when taking a taxi, or just when you need extra cash. This money isn’t for you to spend, though, but to keep just in case you may need it.
Carrying a few over-the-counter painkillers in your handbag is a good idea. You never know when that headache, or stomach cramps, might hit. Keep a few on you as a precaution, and you can also help friends if necessary.
Face and intimate wipes are a must have in every woman’s handbag. These can be extremely helpful when you’ve had a long day and need to refresh. Travelling in hot weather may make you perspire, which can ruin your make-up. Wipes can help you keep your cool.
Even though women may only need feminine hygiene products for a few days of each month, it’s a good idea to keep one or two in your handbag. Pads or other protection can be real lifesavers in an emergency, not only for you but also for friends or classmates. There is always a sister in need of sanitary products!
While tissues might not seem essential, they can be really useful. When you go out, tissues come in handy when you need to wipe a dusty park bench, or accidental spill something on your clothes. And what happens if your nose starts to run or blocks up and you do not have a tissue on hand? Therefore, it’s a good idea always to keep a tiny pack of tissues.
Hand sanitiser is a necessity in this pandemic period of 2020. Our hands are constantly coming into contact with items touched by other people, and the sad fact is you won’t always know if their hands are clean and safe.
HEADPHONES or EARPHONES
These can help transform a bad day to a slightly less bad one. Carry earphones in your bag to save yourself from unnecessary small talk with the person next to you in the bus or taxi. They also are a form of companion when travelling long distances. Jam on your favourite songs as you ride home.
You might feel that brushing your teeth and using mouthwash before stepping out of the house is enough. However, that’s not really enough for a long day ahead so ensure that you pack those breath mints.
With all the increasing dangers women in South Africa face, a pepper spray is essential for self-defence. It is important to stay prepared.
HAND LOTION OR CREAM
Using a hand sanitiser often can cause dry hands. Hand lotion gives our hands a little bit of attention., leaving them soft and moisturised.
A handbag is like a girl’s wingman, you never go anywhere without it. However, it is very important to know what items it should contain.