Julius Malema and his wife Mantwa keep their private life completely secluded from the outside world. So in a bid to seek further refuge, the couple have hot-footed it to Sandton’s Inanda Club – an upmarket facility which only opens its doors to the rich and famous.
Julius Malema and his wife join an exclusive country club
The Sunday Times has revealed that the pair have been listed as new members. Of course, the news will strike political observers as something of a contradiction: Malema has forged his identity as a crusader for the working class, and his decision to hobnob with Johannesburg’s elite will only add fuel to the fire of his detractors.
However, the country club offers all the exclusivity someone in the public eye could wish for. Inanda has a set of private bars, members-only dining rooms and some wonderfully-secluded outdoor seating areas.
A quick glance at their website suggests that Inanda very much conforms to the country club stereotype, too. Members can partake in hunts lead by horseback, and they might as well stay saddled in because there are regular games of polo on the calendar, too. Tally Ho, chaps!
History of Inanda
The two clubs that merged to form the Inanda Club were the Johannesburg Polo Club and the Rand Hunt Club, in August 1935. Inanda got its name from the Zulu word “beautiful”.
The facility was originally situated in Langlaagte in the early 30′s, the polo players including the likes of Punch Barlow, Dr Frank Mudd, Tommy Charles and Harold Jeppe amongst others, were keen to find somewhere in Johannesburg north. As such, they found a suitable ground being auctioned and acted quickly to secure the purchase.
The benefits of the Inanda Club
In fact, the perks of being part of the Sandton-based club are extensive:
- Movers and shakers have access to the 500-seater function room and five separate meeting rooms.
- Private gyms, swimming pools and tennis courts attract the sportier types.
- If you like horse-riding, you’re in luck: You can go for a ride yourself, or enjoy the dressage, show-jumping and polo events.
- There’s a reciprocity agreement in place with 12 local and 34 international “sister clubs” which members can also visit, including locations in the USA and UK.
- It’s family-friendly, meaning that the kids can enjoy themselves. Great news for Juju, who has three youngsters himself.
Julius Malema rubs shoulders with the elite
It’s understood that Julius Malema has been listed as a member of Parliament on “the new members board”, whereas his wife Mantwa has been listed as a director. All we know about her work life is that she has a career in accounts, and she’s clearly doing very well for herself.
Inanda is only 4km away from Juju’s Hyde Park property – the one which he rents from alleged illegal tobacco kingpin Adriano Mazzotti. Having friends in high places seems to be working out quite well for the Malemas.
- All photos have been taken from the Inanda Club website.