We have a rainy week ahead and who wants to spend hours in the kitchen anyway? Instead, load up your shopping trolley with these specials from Pick ‘n Pay, Spar, Checkers and Woolworths, and cut your cooking time in half.
All easy options – and healthy too – so you can ensure your family and friends gets only the best.
Rustic vegetable and beef bolognese pappardelle – R159.99
Checkers has new mouth-watering meal kits every week. This week, the rustic vegetable and beef bolognese pappardelle caught our eye. A two-meal serving sells for only R159.99 and is ready in 30 to 45 minutes.
Also on special this week is lamb koftas with sweet potato mash and stir-fried greens for R189.99, as well as butter chicken curry with mini rotis for R169.99, and harissa chickpea and butternut curry for only R139.99.
All meal kits come complete with a recipe card. Alternatively, either scan the QR code on the box, or watch the instructional step-by-step videos on their website.
Quiche Lorraine – R74.99 per 470g
Woolies’ has Quiche Lorraine on special this week. It sells for only R74.99 for 470g, and is made with free range eggs, fresh cream, bacon, and cheddar.
It takes only 20 minutes to prepare, and can be served either hot or cold. Team it up with these pumpkin fritters for R36.99, or a portion of creamed spinach and honey cinnamon butternut for only R42.99.
Also read: The six best lunch places in Johannesburg
Pick ‘n Pay
Hearty beef stew – Under R120.00
On special at Pick ‘ Pay is bulk stewing beef on the bone for only R69.99 per kilogram. The weather calls for it, so why not prepare beef stew with maize meal this week?
Remember to add onions, carrots, celery, tomato paste, garlic cloves, dry white wine, a can of whole peeled tomatoes and beef stock to your trolley.
Simply brown the meat in a pan. Remove the meat and fry the vegetables. After three minutes, add tomato paste, garlic, stock, tomatoes, wine and the browned meat. Simmer for 90 minutes, add the mushrooms and simmer for another 30 minutes until tender. Follow the complete recipe here.
Pan-seared sirloin steak with mushroom sauce – under R140.00
Get bulk sirloin steak for only R99.99 per kilo at Spar this week. Add mushrooms to your shopping trolley, along with garlic cloves, portobello mushrooms, beef broth and heavy cream.
Preparation time is only 10 minutes and cooking time 15 minutes, so you won’t have to slave away in the kitchen for hours on end either.
Pan seared sirloin steak with mushroom sauce
For the steaks:
- 4 top sirloin steaks
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
For the mushroom sauce:
- Packet of baby portobello mushrooms sliced
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
- dried parsley for garnish
For the steaks:
- Prepare steaks by seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, Italian Seasoning, and smashed garlic cloves to a cast iron skillet and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add steaks to skillet and cook until brown and cooked to desired ‘doneness,’ about 3 to 4 minutes per each side for medium-rare. Do not crowd the skillet – cook the steaks two at a time.
- Remove steaks from skillet, set aside and keep covered.
For the mushroom sauce:
- In the same skillet, add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt over medium-high heat.
- Stir in sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until just tender.
- Pour in the beef broth and let cook for another minute.
- Add evaporated milk or cream to cook for 2 more minutes, or until heated through.
- Plate steaks and top with mushroom sauce.
- Garnish with dried parsley and serve.
The post Eat in for under R160: Best grocery specials at South Africa’s supermarkets appeared first on The South African.