If you need any cooking inspo this week, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve rounded up all the best supermarket grocery specials, with a few meal suggestions thrown in for good measure.
Consider one of these recipes options before ordering takeout this week. After all, election week is coming up, we’ll need all our strength for what’s bound to be South Africa’s most exciting week.
Tagliatelle Carbonara– R149.99
Checkers has 21 mouth-watering meal kits every week. A two-serving tagliatelle carbonara sells for only R149.99 this week. And it’s ready in under 30 minutes.
Alternatively, get sweet and sour pork with sticky jasmine rice for only R159.99. The boxes come with a recipe card, alternatively, either scan the QR code on the box, or watch the instructional video.
Chicken stroganoff for under R100
Chicken stroganoff is on special – R46.99 for a 220g portion of braised beef. However, you’ll save R15 if you buy three packets. Alternatively, the braised beef is still on special for the same price.
For a veggie option, try their spinach and ricotta cannelloni, made with fresh pasta, bechamel sauce and napoletana sauce. A 350g portion sells for R54.99.
Also read: The six best lunch places in Johannesburg
Pick ‘n Pay
Roasted chicken and veggies
Whole chickens sell for only R36.99 per kilo this week. Team this special up with Pick ‘n Pay’s veggie specials for a meal fit for a king. Sweet potato, butternut, cauliflower, broccoli, baby carrots, herbed baby potatoes – by two packets and save R10.
For the perfect roasted veggies, be generous with the olive oil but don’t overdo it. Leave enough space on the try so the pieces don’t steam each other.
Check on the veggies every 15 minutes and let them roast to the point where their edges are toasted to a charred crisp. Bon appétit!
One kilo of boerewors is marked down to R49.99 per kilo this week, providing the perfect example to try something different. How about a boerewors sishebo?
Simply add onions, curry powder, spice, tomato, pumpkin and minestrone soup powder to your trolley, and follow these easy instructions.
The perfect Prego Roll
- 400g – 600g boerewors, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon steak and chops spice
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Two cups water
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 tablespoons Minestrone soup powder
- Brown onion in oil, then add the curry powder, steak and chops spice and tomatoes.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, then add the sliced boerewors. Fry until brown.
- Add the pumpkin, water, beef stock cube and reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, mix in the soup powder. Mix it with a little bit of water to make a smooth paste before transferring it to the pot.
- Allow the dish to simmer for five more minutes, or until the shishebo is thick.
- Serve with rice or pap.